Polymeric Materials and Process Specialist
Sugar Land – United States
The Polymeric Materials and Process specialist primary goals is development of polymeric materials and new process for Wireline, Seismic, Slickline, Artificial Lift, and other challenging cables. He/she will work closely with other teams in the engineering group to carry out various projects. He/she will be responsible for new polymer material development, polymer selection, and new process development that is needed to develop new cables. He/She is expected to manage multiple projects by co-working with cross-functional teams for the diverse interests and demonstrate communication and people skills. He/She shall perform technical and supervisory work on development of polymeric materials and joint R&D projects by representing the company in collaboration with major or venture polymer vendors to develop novel polymeric materials and processes.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- In-depth knowledge of extruder design including barrel, screw, flow diverter and extrusion tooling for different polymers
- Should be able to carry out specific Polymeric Materials and Technology related cable projects with innovativeness and in close co-ordination with cable design groups at HCS.
- Responsible for specification of polymeric materials, processing, and testing and perform polymer vendor technical audit if needed.
- Possesses ability to independently identify and organize approaches to job responsibilities and solves polymer-related problems that arise.
- Design extrusion tools, especially dies and tips for extrusion of a wide range of polymers from polyolefins to costly Fluoropolymers.
- Troubleshooting of extrusion process and other polymer processing operations associated with manufacturing of new cables.
- Responsible for polymer analysis of cable failures, discusses results with other teams, and draws conclusions
- Plans, schedules, designs and assigns work for assigned employees on polymer processing to manufacture engineering prototypes.
- Plans and schedules the acquisition of required polymer processing parts/lines and supplies in order to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Proposes existing or potential problem areas in cable design to be investigated and possesses the ability to offer solutions.
- Recognizes valid experimental information and possesses the necessary knowledge to make correct interpretations.
Tools & Resources available to the Engineer: Pro-Engineer CAD systems, Mechanical FEA software, Designers/Draftsmen, Materials Lab, Experienced Lab Technicians.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- PhD or MS in Polymer Engineering. It will be an added advantage if the person is a ME with 2-3 years’ experience in extrusion.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship
Schlumberger is the leading provider of technology for reservoir characterization, drilling, production, testing and processing to the oil and gas industry and is diversifying into suitable renewable energy services. HCS is a Division of Schlumberger, and one of its core specializations is in building highly reliable engineered products that supply the industry with oil well logging cables, Oceanographic cables, land cables, fiber optic cables, instrumentation cables, special cable systems and repair services. The above-mentioned position is in the HCS’s Cables Engineering Department.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor—priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
To apply for this job please visit careers.slb.com.